assemble 29 chapters that review HIV research, covering the origins and evolution of HIV, the HIV replication cycle, pathogenesis, latency, host-virus interactions, host immune responses, HIV-1-related central nervous system disease, nonpathogenic simian immunodeficiency virus infections, and transmission, as well as vaccines, cell and gene therapies, antiretroviral drugs, microbicides, and behavioral strategies for treatment and prevention.
What does SIV stand for?
SIV stands for Simian Immunodeficiency Virus
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SIV
We have 77 other meanings of SIV in our Acronym Attic
- Students Independent Union of the University of Prishtina (Kosovo)
- Summer Institute for Union Women
- Safety Interlocks Valid
- Seasonal Influenza Vaccine
- Self-Inflicted Violence
- Sensors in Vacuum (engineering)
- Service d'Immuno Virologies (French: Immunovirology Department; Atomic Energy Commission)
- Servizio Informazioni del Vaticano (Frontier magazine march 2008, article about extraterrestial contact)
- Setto Interventricolare (Italian)
- Silo Interface Vault (missile defense)
- Simulation d'Incident en Vol (French: Simulated Incidence in Flight; paragliding)
- Site Initiation Visit
- Situs Inversus Viscerum
- Small Islands Voice
- Société Industrielle de Vitrines (French metalwork company)
- Sorry I Vanished (chat)
- Sound in Video
- Speaker Identification and Verification (speech recognition)
- Special Immigrant Visa (US State Department)
- Special Interest Vessel (US DoD)
Samples in periodicals archive:
More than half the macaque monkeys given the new vaccine maintained control over the Simian Immunodeficiency Virus - the primate form of HIV - for more than a year.
It controlled the Simian Immunodeficiency Virus so there were no traces left of it in more than half of a test group of macaques.
Chapters address lentivirus tropism and disease, macrophages in HIV-1 infection, intracellular mechanisms for lentiviral restriction, simian-HIV and simian immunodeficiency virus models of HIV disease, host and viral determinants of feline immunodeficiency virus cell tropism and pathogenicity, equine infectious anemia virus and its pathogenesis, the bovine lentivirus infections, and lentivirus coinfections and superinfections, among other topics.
Over the years, studies of simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV)-infected macaques and HIV-infected humans have provided substantial evidence that significant GI pathology results from progressive HIV-1 infection from the acute phase of the infection to advanced disease [2-9].
It is closely related to gorilla simian immunodeficiency virus and shows no evidence of recombination with other HIV-1 lineages.
Ashley Haase and colleagues from the University of Minnesota have found that a few epithelial cells on the cervix of femal macaques are the first point of entry for simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV).
Ibaraki, Japan) has patented a method for highly efficient gene transfer into primate-derived embryonic stem (ES) cells has successfully been achieved by using a simian immunodeficiency virus vector (SIV) pseudotyped with VSV-G protein, which is a surface glycoprotein of vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV) The present invention provides simian immunodeficiency virus vectors for gene transfer to primate ES cells.