The 2002 Nobel Peace Prize recipient devotes more than a page in the book to Roy Bourgeois, citing his work in Latin America, his founding of the School of the Americas Watch, and his support of equality for women in the Roman Catholic church.
What does SOAW stand for?
SOAW stands for School of the Americas Watch
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
We have 1 other meaning of SOAW in our Acronym Attic
- Snakes on A Train (parody movie)
- Spirit of America Tour (military entertainment)
- Strangers On A Train (Hitchcock movie)
- Sudan Organization against Torture (est. 1993; Sudan and UK)
- Special Operations Aviation Training Company (US Army, 160th SOAR)
- Sun/Oracle Application Technology Center
- Strategic Offensive Arms Treaty Implementation Center
- Support Operation Automated Training System (US NASA)
- Sex Offender Assessment Unit (Farmington Correctional Center; Farmington, MO)
- Special Operations Aviation Task Force
Samples in periodicals archive:
Among the 165-plus endorsing organizations that have signed on to join Campaign Nonviolence are Pax Christi USA, War Resisters League, Veterans for Peace, School of the Americas Watch, Code Pink, Fellowship of Reconciliation, Meta Peace Team, Baptist Peace Fellowship, Episcopal Peace Fellowship, Lutheran Peace Fellowship, Muslim Peace Fellowship, Franciscan Action Network, National Religious Campaign Against Torture, Hip Hop Caucus and Nonviolence International.
Critics, including members of the School of the Americas Watch, a group founded in 1990 by the Rev.
Internal documents reveal the military spent nearly $250,000 to track media coverage of the school, to create letters to the editor to counter negative views, and to track the comings and goings of Father Roy Bourgeois, who started the School of the Americas Watch fifteen years ago.
Ellen Barfield (Baltimore) was given a gala tribute in San Francisco by the War Resisters League for her work with the League, the School of the Americas Watch, Veterans for Peace, and WILPF.
School of the Americas Watch holds its annual vigil and nonviolent civil resistance on Nov.
national coordinator of the School of the Americas Watch.
In 1990, Catholic priest Father Roy Bourgeois founded the School of the Americas Watch to educate the public and work for the closure of the facility.