The tradition evolved to inspire Sadie Hawkins Day (based on the bold "Li'l Abner" character), sometimes celebrated in November, in which women can take the lead in asking men to a dance.
What does SHD stand for?
SHD stands for Sadie Hawkins Day
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of SHD
We have 83 other meanings of SHD in our Acronym Attic
- Subterranean Heating and Cooling System
- Short-Haul Civil Tiltrotor
- Shropshire Historic Churches Trust (Shropshire, UK)
- Suffolk Historic Churches Trust (UK)
- Super Hypo Carrot Tail (leopard gecko)
- Self Help Credit Union (Durham, NC)
- Southern Highlands Computer Users Group (Australia)
- Superfund Hazardous Chemical Waste Disposal Site
- Society for the History of Children and Youth
- Sadie Hawkins Dance
- Saint Hubert Développement (French: Saint Hubert Development)
- Scout Helicopter Division
- Sedative-Hypnotic Drug
- Service Historique de la Défense (French: Service History of Defense; French military archive center)
- Ship Hull Design
- Shop Drawing
- Sims Hot Date (game)
- Single Hip Disarticulation
- Single-Hop Delay
Samples in periodicals archive:
LEAP Year day is known as Sadie Hawkins Day in the US after the spinster from Al Capp's Li'l Abner comic strip.
Sadie Hawkins Day, when women are permitted to propose to men, also is Feb.
29 (or Leap Day) as Sadie Hawkins Day, a day when women are encouraged to make the first move or even pop the question to their beaus, but American woman may no longer need a holiday to be romantically assertive.
Sandy Bell, a nationally-recognized dating coach, says the annual Sadie Hawkins Day celebration is a great time for singles to reassess their dating habits and take charge of their dating life.
Future scholarships will be awarded on festive days such as Valentine's Day, Halloween or Sadie Hawkins Day.