To simplify this task, Microsoft created a print driver framework, Universal Print Driver or Unidrv that uses printer description files and plug-ins to create customized minidrivers for each device.
What does PDF stand for?
PDF stands for Printer Description File (File Name Extension)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of PDF
We have 1309 other meanings of PDF in our Acronym Attic
- Precision Direction Finder
- Precision Direction Finding
- Premier Diesel Fuel (low sulfur diesel)
- Pretrial Detention Facility (various locations)
- Pretty Damn Funky
- Pretty Damn Funny
- Pretty Darn Fast
- Primary Direction of Fire
- Principal Direction of Fire
- Printer Definition File
- Probability Density Function
- Probability Distribution Function
- Processor Defined Function
- Procurement Data File
- Product Development & Fulfillment company
- Professional Development Foundation (UK)
- Professional Development Fund (various organizations)
- Proficiency Diploma in French (Nigeria)
- Program Data File
- Program Data Form
Samples in periodicals archive:
Microsoft's version is the GPD Generic Printer Description file for Windows NT.
The RIP at the remote site is not processing PostScript files, so there are no concerns about missing fonts, incorrect spot functions, wrong printer description files, or any of the other messy complications that currently plague commercial printers and PostScript service bureaus.
In addition, the supplement addresses issues specific to service bureaus, including how to transfer PageMaker files easily between Windows and the Macintosh and how to work with printer description files.