Neurologists, cardiologists, and pulmonologists from the US, Europe, and Israel focus on sleep apnea as they discuss oxidative stress, proinflammatory vascular risk factors, and endothelial disease; autonomic dysfunction and vascular diseases; hypertension; stroke risk factors and the arousal response; atrial fibrillation; patent foramen ovale and the association with ischemic stroke; the pathogenesis of cerebral small-vessel disease; acute stroke deterioration; the effect of continuous positive airway pressure on stroke risk factors and stroke; rehabilitation of stroke; and restless legs syndrome, periodic limb movements, and vascular risk factors.
What does PFO stand for?
PFO stands for Patent Foramen Ovale (defect of the heart)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of PFO
We have 75 other meanings of PFO in our Acronym Attic
- Plate-Forme Nouvelles Technologies (French: Platform Techology; disabled technology; Raymond Poincaré Hospital; Garches, France)
- Product Flow Network Unit
- Pagan Federation North West (UK)
- Prison Families of New York
- Partnership for New York City
- Prison Fellowship New Zealand
- Products from New Zealand (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Paint Flag Offset (marking underground utilities)
- Palustrine Forest (environmental science)
- Paphos, Cyprus - International (Airport Code)
- Perron-Frobenius Operator
- Persistent Felony Offender (various states)
- Persistent Foramen Ovale (cardiology)
- Pinedale Field Office (US DOI)
- Pink Floyd Online (fan site)
- Pinyon Flat Observatory (earthquake reporting station)
- Pissed Fell Over (UK medical slang for drunk patient)
- Pittsburgh Field Office (Pennsylvania)
- Playing for Others (teen development program; Charlotte, NC)
- Please Frig Off (polite form, as in a PFO letter for a refused resume)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The specialist cardiac products the Trust will be looking to procure include: Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Closure Devices, Atrial Spetal Defects (ASD) Closure Devices, Left Atrial Apendage (L) Closure Devices, Rotational Atherectomy Systems, Cutting/Scoring Balloons, Embolic Capture/Distal Protection Devices, Intra-Aortic Balloon (IAB) Catheters, Temporary Pacing Wires, Pressure Wires, Long sheaths, Stents, Melody Valves and other specialist products used at Specialist GUCH Centre Tender documents : T14481943.
A special catheter procedure to close a patent foramen ovale (PFO) - a hole between the chambers of the heart - is no more effective than medical therapy in preventing recurrent strokes.
No atrial thrombi were seen and no signal voids adjacent to the atrial septum were found to suggest the presence of a patent foramen ovale (PFO).
Lau, a board certified cardiologist with Oregon Cardiology, treated the defect - called a patent foramen ovale - through a tiny puncture in the skin, according to a McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center news release.
Although Chiari network is often considered clinically insignificant it may be associated with persistence of patent foramen ovale, formation of atrial septal aneurysm, catheter entrapment, paradoxic embolism, infective endocarditis and atrial tachyarrhythmias.
Aporo Biomedical will use mNEMOSCIENCE's BIO-SMP in both patent foramen ovale (PFO) and femoral artery closure devices.
218), which states that a patent foramen ovale is linked to migraines and that that heart defect, combined with sleep apnea, can cause oxygen desaturation, which can be a factor in cardiovascular disease.