Thousands of new pieces of space junk were created in 2009 when a working Iridium communications satellite smashed into an out-of-commission Russian satellite.
What does OOC stand for?
OOC stands for Out-Of-Commission
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of OOC
We have 62 other meanings of OOC in our Acronym Attic
- Out of Committee (various locations)
- Out of Concentration (Dark Age of Camelot online game)
- Out of Context
- Out of Contract
- Out Of Control
- Out of Country
- Out of Course (Singapore Armed Forces)
- Out of Curiosity
- Out of Cycle
- Out-Of-Character (gaming)
- Outfit of Choice (pageants)
- On-Off Cycles per Day
- Old Opel Club Belgium (automobile club; Belgium)
- Oamaru Ordinary Cycle Club (New Zealand)
- Ogasawara Outrigger Canoe Club (Ogasawara, Japan)
- Olive Oil Council of Canada
- Old Oak Cliff Conservation League (Dallas, TX)
- Orlando Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Oke-Ogun Community Development (Nigeria)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Author: Elias Hazou EXPERTS are working feverishly to prep installations at the out-of-commission Vasilikos plant so that the some 100,000 tonnes of fuel sitting idle there can be transferred to the two other functioning power stations.
Mission objectives include extending Hubble's operational life by five years, repairing its out-of-commission instruments and enhancing its scientific power.
I was pretty sure, for example, that a regiment of out-of-commission poles linked by a velvet rope was an installation--a nonsensical barrier to a non-event.
Bench grinders on 79% of the submarines surveyed were considered out-of-commission due to non-ferrous material in the grinding wheels.
Prohibited, and hence placed out of sight or otherwise rendered out-of-commission in particular times and places, are in some Jewish homes: cars, money, and fire on Sabbath; bread and flour on Passover; mirrors and leather shoes in the mourner's house.
Angel Band singer/songwriter Nancy Josephson, however, asked permission to "embellish" one such of the out-of-commission instrument.
But maintaining out-of-commission covered bridges costs the county Parks Division a pretty penny, and something had to be done to help offset the expense.