Osmotic demyelination syndrome Osmotic demyelination syndrome is a metabolic disorder that results from abrupt correction of serum sodium osmolality.
What does ODS stand for?
ODS stands for Osmotic Demyelination Syndrome (neurological disorder)
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of ODS
We have 181 other meanings of ODS in our Acronym Attic
- Ordering & Distribution Subsystem
- Ordering Data Sheet
- Ordine Di Servizio (Italian: Order of Service)
- Ordnance Delivery Schedule
- Oregon Dental Service (Portland, OR)
- Organic Dry Solid (wastewater treatment)
- Organizational Development Services (various locations)
- Organizational Development Specialist
- Oriann Dynamic System (content management system)
- Orton Dyslexia Society, Inc.
- Osteogenic Disorder Shionogi (rat)
- Output Data Set
- Output Delivery System (software)
- Outside Diameter Solder (engineering)
- Oxide Dispersion-Strengthened
- Oxygen Depletion Sensor
- Ozone Depleting Substance
- Ökologisch-Demokratische Studierende eV
- ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) Data Source Administrator
- Office of the Dean of Student Affairs
Samples in periodicals archive:
increase greater than 12 mEq/L/24 hours) can cause osmotic demyelination syndrome (ODS), resulting in dysarthria (difficulty speaking), mutism, dysphagia (trouble swallowing), lethargy, affective changes (mood changes), spastic quadraparesis (involuntary muscle weakness), seizures, coma and death.
Such an intervention reduces cerebral edema without risk for osmotic demyelination syndrome as may occur during the rapid correction of chronic hyponatremia, as the prerequisite compensatory adaptation of brain cells to hypo-osmolality has not yet taken place.