Preliminary data demonstrates elevated expression of Fos, FosB, CEBPB, KLF2 and ZFP36 in the nucleus accumbens of mice abstinent following chronic cocaine exposure, suggesting that these genes could underlie the rewiring of transcriptional complexes observed in abstinent mice.
What does NAcc stand for?
NAcc stands for Nucleus Accumbens (brain region)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of NAcc
We have 193 other meanings of NAcc in our Acronym Attic
- North American Calibration Cooperative (Canada)
- North American Christian Convention
- North American, Central American and Caribbean (International Civil Aviation Organization)
- North Atlantic Cooperation Council (NATO)
- North Avon Canoe Club (UK)
- Northside Aztlan Community Center (Fort Collins, CO)
- Northwest Arkansas Community College
- Norton Apostolic Christian Church (Ohio)
- Norwegian-American Chamber of Commerce (New York)
- NTC Airspace Control Center
- National Aboriginal Capital Corporation Association (Canada)
- National Action Committee for Children Affected by HIV and AIDS (South Africa)
- National Association of Claimants' Compensation Attorneys (now Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- National Association of Consumer Credit Administrators
- National Check Cashers Association (est. 1987)
- North American Christian Creative Association
- North American Council of Chemical Associations
- National Advisory Council for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- National Association of Christian College Admissions Personnel (now North American Coalition for Christian Admissions Professionals; Huntington, IN)
- North American Coalition for Christian Admissions Professionals (Huntington, IN)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Galanin and the nucleus accumbens cells probably aren't the only factors in reducing motivation, Malenka says.
Using a combination of optogenetics and fiber photometry, the investigators were able to demonstrate that a particular tract projecting from the VTA to a mid-brain structure called the nucleus accumbens (also strongly implicated in the reward system) was the relevant conduit carrying the impetus to social interaction in the mice.
In normal conditions, activity of dopaminergic neurons in this pathway is affected by tonic inhibition of GABAergic intermediary neurons locating in ventral tegmental area (VTA) which decrease release of dopamine in nucleus accumbens and reduce amount of reward there .
The nucleus accumbens is a very good target that we will continue to study.
Scientists found that strengthening signaling along a neural pathway that runs through the nucleus accumbens -- a region of the brain involved in motivation, pleasure, and addiction -- can reduce cocaine-seeking behavior in mice.
It consists of the nucleus accumbens and the olfactory tubercle.
The main areas are the ventral tegmental area (VTA) located in the mid-brain just above the hippocampus and in front of the substantia nigra; the nucleus accumbens (NAc) in the striatum just below the front end of the corpus callosum; and the prefrontal cortex, located just behind the forehead and just in front of the motor areas of the cortex.