The rest of the southern branch will then head back across the Pacific under the North Equatorial Current, which will take it to the so-called Western Garbage Patch.
What does NEC stand for?
NEC stands for North Equatorial Current
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of NEC
We have 367 other meanings of NEC in our Acronym Attic
- Niagara Escarpment Commission (Canada)
- Nijmeegse Eendrachts Combinatie
- Nippon Electric Company, Ltd. (Japan; now simply NEC)
- No End-Item Calibration
- Nome Eskimo Community (Nome, AK)
- Nominations and Elections Committee
- Non-Elective Contribution (to a qualified retirement plan)
- Non-Employee Compensation
- Non-Executive Chairman (various companies)
- North Eastern Coalfields (India)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Retroflection eddies appear to carry a significant volume of South Atlantic water northward into the North Atlantic, short-circuiting the longer route around the gyre formed by the North Equatorial Countercurrent and the North Equatorial Current.