In three months New England cod fishermen will have to drastically reduce the size of their harvests following a decision this week by the New England Fishery Management Council to make steep cuts to the amount of of the fish that may be harvested every season.
What does NEFMC stand for?
NEFMC stands for New England Fishery Management Council
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
- Netherlands Forces Intelligence Service
- North East Federation of International Trade (India)
- New England Football League
- Noblesville Elementary Football League (Noblesville, IN)
- Northern Elite Football League (various locations)
- Northeast Florida Library Information Network
- New England Free Love League
- New England Fabricated Metals (Leominster, MA)
- New England First Mothers
- Northeast Florida Mental Health Counselors Association
- Northeast Florida Multiple Listing Service
- Nato European Fighter Aircraft Development, Production and Logistics Management Organisation
- North East Fishery Management Plan (Department of Primary Industries; Victoria, Australia)
- New England Field Office (US Fish and Wildlife Service; Old Town, ME)
- Northeast Fisheries Observer Program
- New Forms of Reasoning for the Semantic Web (workshop)
- Northeast Emergency Food Program (Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon)
- Northeast Florida Paralegal Association (also seen as NFPA)
- National Executive Forum on Public Property (est. 1998; Canada)
Samples in periodicals archive:
John Pappalardo, chairman and CEO of the Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fishermen's Association and New England Fishery Management Council chairman, acknowledges that Cape Cod's 50-plus commercial fleet captains are annually landing more than 4 million pounds of scallops, ground fish, skate, dogfish, tuna, striped bass, conch and monkfish.
The issue has been further addressed by the New England Fishery Management Council, and there is no scientific evidence suggesting that a different conclusion is warranted.
For instance, the New England Fishery Management Council used several sources of data from both the state and federal levels, including studies spanning four decades.
In January, as a result of efforts by Governor Patrick and others, the New England Fishery Management Council decided to reconsider its decision to restrict fishing opportunities for the Atlantic sea scallop fishery in 2010.
Today, the New England Fishery Management Council - the regional governing body for fisheries - will vote on a new management plan at its meeting in Portland, Maine, that could help assure a future for both fish and fishermen.
The interim fishery management plan of the New England Fishery Management Council has emphasized minimum fish size and minimum mesh size regulations, using also closed seasons and closed areas to protect spawning fish.
Instead of waiting for the New England Fishery Management Council to find a solution, he used his extensive knowledge of nets, gained during his many years of fishing in Portugal before emigrating to the U.