Recommendation: To help increase electronic filing and to better target IRS's efforts, the Commissioner of Internal Revenue should direct the appropriate officials to develop and prioritize a list of forms that still need to be added to the Modernized e-File system.
What does MeF stand for?
MeF stands for Modernized E-File (IRS)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of MeF
We have 163 other meanings of MeF in our Acronym Attic
- Ministerio de Economía y Finanzas (Spanish)
- Ministry Expansion Fund
- Ministry of Environment and Forestry (various locations)
- Mission Endowment Fund (various organizations)
- Mission Equipment Facility
- Mission Essential Force
- Mission Essential Function
- Mission Execution Forecast (Air Force Weather Briefings)
- Mobile Entertainment Forum
- Mobility Enhancement Fund
- Modified Energy Factor
- Montville Education Foundation
- Mother Earth Foundation (Philippines)
- Mouse Embryo Feeder (cells)
- Mouse Embryonic Fibroblast
- Museo Paleontológico Egidio Feruglio (Patagonia, Argentina)
- Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward)
- MDR1 (Multi-Drug Resistance 1) Promoter-Enhancing Factor 1
- Motor-Evoked Field 1
- Mitochondrial Elongation Factor-G (genetics)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The report also discusses several other areas of electronic tax administration, including the 2010 implementation of the first phase of the IRS's modernized e-file system, the new preparer tax identification (PTIN) registration system, and the IRS's discontinuation of providing a debt indicator on e-filed returns.
For 2006, the threshold for corporations required to e-file federal tax returns has changed again: this year, corporations that have $10 million or more in assets and file at least 250 information returns must e-file their Forms 1120 using the IRS' modernized e-file platform.
Robinson has worked with the task group to make the agency's Modernized E-file project for large corporations more administrable.
Modernized e-File now allows businesses and tax-exempt organizations to file their returns electronically, and e-services, a Web-based suite of business applications, provides tax practitioners and other third-parties who conduct business with the IRS with information and access on an expedited basis.
However, a milestone for the Customer Account Data Engine (the new taxpayer information database) exceeded its planned schedule by 66 percent and experienced a 15 percent cost increase; another milestone for the same project incurred a 153 percent schedule delay, and a milestone for Modernized e-File (an electronic filing system) experienced a 41 percent schedule delay.
The IRS has announced a release date of August 2009 for the modernized e-file (MeF) Form 1040.
Specifically, the IRS states: The Service will generally not approve a request to waive the electronic filing requirement if the software purchased or licensed by a taxpayer or a return preparer does not include all of the features necessary to comply with the Modernized e-File requirements set forth in IRS regulations, revenue procedures, publications, and other instructions posted to the irs.