Air Force missile control officer Bruce Blair said, "If the launch order went out right now, the launch crews in the field would decode and validate the order, activate wartime targets in the missile's memory, send arming codes to the missiles and launch them -- all within two minutes in the case of land-based missiles, and 15 minutes for submarines.
What does MCO stand for?
MCO stands for Missile Control Officer
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of MCO
We have 161 other meanings of MCO in our Acronym Attic
- Michigan College of Optometry (Ferris State University; Big Rapids, MI)
- Micro Credit Organization (various locations)
- Middle Cornish (linguistics)
- Midwest Christian Outreach, Inc. (Wonder Lake, IL)
- Military Claims Office
- Military Corporation Office
- Minister for the Cabinet Office (UK)
- Minnesota Citizens Online
- Miscellaneous Charge Order (airline industry financial term)
- Miscellaneous Charges Order
Samples in periodicals archive:
Those who have called for substantial or complete de-alerting include former CIA chief Admiral Stansfield Turner, former head of the Strategic Air Command Lee Butler, former Senator Sam Nunn (Democrat of Georgia, who headed the Senate Armed Services Committee), former missile control officers like Bruce Blair of the Brookings Institute, the majority of countries that are parties to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, and grassroots groups around the United States and the world.
Naval Academy and then subsequently served as a Missile Control Officer in the Air Force.