One official, discussing the shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles known as MANPADS, for Man-Portable Air Defense Systems, said "there are thousands of them" flowing out of Libya.
What does MPADS stand for?
MPADS stands for Man-Portable Air Defense System
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of MPADS
- Muslim Public Affairs Committee UK (United Kingdom)
- Microwave Plasma-Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition
- Manpower Personnel Assignment Document
- Mindanao Peace and Development Program (Philippines)
- Mission Planning and Analysis Division
- Mobile Public Affairs Detachment (US Army)
- Monterey Peninsula Airport District (California)
- Multi-Pure Aqua Dome (water filtration system; Multi-Pure Corp.)
- Muslim Programmers and Designers Community
- Mt. Pleasant Area Diversity Group (Mount Pleasant, MI)
- Memory-Pooling-Assisted Data Splitting (computer science)
- Max Plank Institute for Aeronomy
- Max-Planck-Institut für Aeronomie (German)
- Mountain Plains Adult Education Association
- Mandela Park Anti-Eviction Campaign (South Africa)
- Menlo Park Atherton Education Foundation
- Mountain Plains AIDS Education & Training Center (Denver, CO)
- Medicare PPS (Prospective Payment System) Assessment Form (various locations)
- Metz Poverty Alleviation Foundation (Netherlands)
- Michigan Physician Assistant Foundation
Samples in periodicals archive:
The new man-portable air defense systems were tested in the second phase of the ongoing air defense exercises.
The US Department of State announced earlier this year it has assisted the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Bulgaria in safely destroying 500 surplus Man-Portable Air Defense Systems ( MANPADS ) missiles and 500 grip stocks ( launchers ).
The goal is to develop systems and tactics to kill Americans, namely man-portable air defense system munitions.
Heat-seeking man-portable air defense systems are a major threat to helicopters in Iraq and elsewhere.
With our vigorous leadership, the Organization of American States (OAS) is on the cutting edge in fighting terrorism, the threat of loose Man-Portable Air Defense System (MANPADS), illicit arms trafficking, illegal drugs, and corruption.
GAO-04-519 May 13, 2004 The proliferation of man-portable air defense systems (MANPADS) has been of growing concern to the United States and other governments.
Menace in a Golf Bag Known technically as Man-Portable Air Defense Systems, or MANPADS, such missiles are in some ways an ideal weapon for the al Qaedas of the world.