The possibility of making a major breakthrough in this field has become possible thanks to two new and revolutionary radio facilities becoming available in Europe: the LOw Frequency ARray (LOFAR), now in its commissioning phase, and the focal-plane array system Apertif to be installed starting 2013 on the Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope (WSRT).
What does LOFAR stand for?
LOFAR stands for Low Frequency Array
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of LOFAR
We have 1 other meaning of LOFAR in our Acronym Attic
- Loss of Frame Alignment (telecommunications)
- Low-Altitude Forward Area Air Defense
- Low Altitude Forward Area Air Defense System
- Library of Food and Beverages (Germany)
- Late Onset Familial Alzheimer Disease
- Ley de Organización y Funcionamiento de la Administración General del Estado (Spanish Law)
- Low Frequency Acquisition And Ranging
- Low Frequency Analysis and Ranging
- Low Frequency Analysis and Recording
- Low Frequency Analyzer & Recorder
- Lone Oak First Baptist Church (Paducah, KY)
- Lake Ontario Fisheries Coalition (Watertown, NY)
- Leyton Orient Football Club (East London, UK)
- Lines of Communications (US Navy)
- Liste des Opérations de Fabrication et de Contrôle (French: List of Manufacturing Operations and Control)
- Loss Of Frame C-Bit - Path (Telabs)
- Lake Oswego Fire Department (Oregon)
- Late Onset Friedreich's Disease
- List-of-Files-and-Directories (computing)
- Looks Okay from Door
Samples in periodicals archive:
The first stage of the European Low Frequency Array (Lofar) telescope involves 96 radio antennae being erected this week in a field at the Chilbolton Observatory near Andover, Hampshire.
The Low Frequency Array (Lofar) programme uses large sheets of metal and, rather than moving a dish to pinpoint particular points in the sky, the sheets pick up radio waves from all over the sky.