Department of State, provides merit-based scholarships for eligible high school students and recent high school graduates to learn less commonly taught languages, including Chinese Mandarin, in summer and academic-year overseas immersion programs.
What does LCTL stand for?
LCTL stands for Less Commonly Taught Language
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of LCTL
We have 2 other meanings of LCTL in our Acronym Attic
- Library of Congress Thesaurus for Graphic Materials (US)
- Lake County Tribal Health Consortium, Inc. (Lakeport, CA)
- Law on Combating Trafficking in Human Beings (Bulgaria)
- Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation
- Landelijke Commissie Toezicht Indicatiestelling (Dutch: National Committee for Medical Surveillance)
- Large Component Test Installation
- Lehigh Career & Technical Institute (Schnecksville, Pennsylvania)
- Lake County Transportation Improvement Project (Illinois)
- Louisiana Coalition for Tax Justice (Baton Rouge, LA)
- Large Component Test Loop
- Longitudinal Conversion Transfer Loss
- Lossy Coupled Transmission Line
- Little Change in Temperature
- Luxembourg City Tourist Office
- Lactation Consultant Training Program (various organizations)
- Least Cost Transportation Planning
- Lake Chelan Tourism Promotion Group (Washington)
- Landing Craft Tank Rocket (D-Day, used to assault bunkers)
- Large Cash Transaction Reporting
Samples in periodicals archive:
Hindi, a less commonly taught language in Australian higher education, was catapulted into the list of four strategically significant languages in the Commonwealth Government's 2012 White Paper, Australia in the Asian Century.
Whatever the circumstances of their hire, when the use of an interpreter is required, it is more likely that finding one who is fluent in a less commonly taught language will be easier if the client is living in a large metropolitan area.
Some of the biggest challenges to the IC have been the less commonly taught languages.
Alexander adds, "[T]oday's backlog is no longer confined to Arabic and its multiple dialects, but also includes a variety of other less commonly taught languages.
The department's goal remains increasing the language capability in the less commonly taught languages and ultimately creating a cadre of language professionals with a high level of language proficiency," the official said.
Patricia Paulsell, co-director of the Center for Language Education and Research at Michigan State University, recently helped organize a national conference on less commonly taught languages and other issues.
In sum, the multiple packages in this CD not only supplement the printed textbook, but also enrich the instructional materials for Chinese for working professionals, responding to the continuous call for adequate resources for less commonly taught languages (Grosse & Voght, 1991, 2012).