A laboratory in South Africa that is accredited for molecular testing by the National Accreditation System tested sputum samples for resistance to rifampin and isoniazid by using Genotype MTBDRplus assay (Hain LifeScience GmbH, Nehren, Germany) (7,8).
What does INH stand for?
INH stands for Isoniazid
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of INH
We have 18 other meanings of INH in our Acronym Attic
- International Non-Governmental Youth Organization
- I Need Help
- Improved Nike Hercules
- Infectious Necrotic Hepatitis
- Inhaber (German: proprietor)
- Inhalt (German: contents)
- Inheems (Dutch)
- Institut National d'Horticulture (French)
- Institute for Nutrisciences and Health (Canada)
- Isonicotinic Acid Hydrazide
- Indian National Hydropower Association
- Institut National d'Histoire de l'Art (French: National Institute of Art History)
- International Natural Healers Association (Nevada City, CA)
- Illinois Nursing Home Administrators' Association (Lanark, IL)
- Information for Nursing and Health in a Learning Environment
- Ireland Needs Healthier Airways and Lungs: The Evidence
- Inhibit Alarm (Telabs)
- Improving Nursing Home Culture (pilot study)
- Internet New Home Consultant
Samples in periodicals archive:
This promising drug candidate is active against many of the drug-resistant types of the tuberculosis bacterium that no longer respond to treatment with the front-line drug isoniazid.
Plus, every year 500,000 people are infected by bacteria that are impervious to isoniazid and rifampin, the most widely used first-line treatments for TB, according to (http://www.
Soon after isoniazid (INH) was introduced as an effective agent to treat disease, clinicians noted that INH monotherapy effectively prevented development of disease in children with primary TB (4).
[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED] A recently released study powerfully suggests that doctor resistance to prescribing highly effective isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) to their TB-negative HIV patients is contributing to the national TB epidemic.
But new strains that have built up immunity to standard antibiotics -- especially isoniazid and rifampicin -- can require drug treatments costing thousands of dollars (euros) and lasting a year to 18 months.
Isoniazid is not used alone due to its low activity against MAC, in contrast to tuberculosis infection.
[FIGURE 1 OMITTED] CASE 2 This case was a 30 yr-old woman who developed TB following etanercept treatment for rheumatoid arthritis despite isoniazid prophylaxis for LTBI.