Making this possible is INTRABEAM Intraoperative Radiotherapy (IORT) a technology now being offered to patients at both MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and MedStar Washington Hospital Center.
What does IORT stand for?
IORT stands for Intraoperative Radiotherapy (oncology)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of IORT
We have 2 other meanings of IORT in our Acronym Attic
- Indian Ocean Rim Region (virtual library project)
- It's Only Rock 'n Roll (Rolling Stones Fanclub)
- Implanto-Orthognathic Reconstructive Surgery
- Institute of Oncology and Radiology of Serbia
- International Orphanage Relief Society (Oklahoma City, OK)
- Italian Orthopaedic Research Society (est. 1994; Bologna, Italy)
- Independent Online Radio Station Network
- Incremental Oil Revenue Tax (Canada)
- Institute for Outdoor Recreation and Tourism (Utah State University Extension)
- Intraoperative Radiation Therapy Boost (oncology)
- Information Operations Red Team and Assessments
- Inadvertently Opened Relief Valve
- Institute of Rail Welding
- Indiana & Ohio Railway
- I'm Only Sleeping (Beatles song)
- Igoss Observing System
- Ilheus, Bahia, Brazil - Eduardo Gomes (Airport Code)
- Illinois Orchid Society (est. 1952)
- Illinois Orthopaedic Society
- Improved Oceanographic Sensor
Samples in periodicals archive:
Results of the international TARGIT-A (Targeted Intraoperative Radiotherapy) trial, in which 2,232 patients undergoing lumpectomy were randomized to intraoperative radiotherapy (IORT) or standard external-beam radiation, showed closely similar 4-year local recurrence rates in the conserved breast: 1.
A 30-minute alternative to weeks of radiotherapy THE NEW FINDINGS Women could avoid the standard six weeks of radiotherapy following surgery to remove a cancerous breast lump, thanks to a new technique called targeted intraoperative radiotherapy (TIR ).
A new technique for delivering radiotherapy to patients with breast cancer is being tested in an international multicenter clinical trial evaluating single-dose intraoperative radiotherapy as an alternative to conventional postoperative radiotherapy for treatment of early-stage invasive breast cancer.
Also actively recruiting patients--in the United States as well as Europe--is the Targeted Intraoperative Radiotherapy (TARGIT) trial.
He pioneered research (in '75) using radioactive seed implants for prostate cancer, his use of electron beam intraoperative radiotherapy is now an important treatment procedure for many cancers.
The medical technology portfolio of Carl Zeiss Meditec is rounded off by promising, future-oriented technologies such as intraoperative radiotherapy.
Targeted intraoperative radiotherapy versus whole breast radiotherapy for breast cancer (TARGIT-A trial): an international, prospective, randomized, non-inferiority phase 3 trial.