Because of its western location from the International Date Line, Guam is the first to experience the new day in the United States; hence Guam is "Where America's Day begins.
What does IDL stand for?
IDL stands for International Date Line
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of IDL
We have 135 other meanings of IDL in our Acronym Attic
- Interactive Distance Learning
- Interconnect Description Language
- Interface Definition Language (CORBA)
- Interface Description Language
- Interface Design Language
- Interfacility Data Link
- Interference Detection and Location technology
- Interim Data Link
- Intermediate Density Lipoprotein
- Intermodal Distribution Lane
- International Distance Learning (various schools)
- International Driving License
- Internet Definition Language
- Interoperable Data Link
- Iowa Digital Library (University of Iowa)
- Intersite Delivery List/Schedule
- Interface Description Language to Service Description Language Translator
- Idaho Digital Learning Academy (Boise, ID)
- Illinois Deaf Latino Association (Chicago, IL)
- Illinois Dental Laboratory Association (est. 1946; Naperville, IL)
Samples in periodicals archive:
29, 2011, the remote Pacific island nation redrew the International Date Line and leapt across to its western side after over a century on the eastern side of the line.
The 30th "disappeared" when the Pacific nation of 193,000 people switched from one side of the international date line (IDL) to the other.
One assumes the world would already have ended across the International Date Line.
The Pacific island nation will switch to the west side of the international date line so it can be on the same day as neighbours Australia, New Zealand and eastern Asia.
The first crossing of the International Date Line by kiteboard.
An enormous area of the tropical oceans stretching from the east coast of Africa west to the International Date Line in the Pacific has heated by about 1 degree Fahrenheit, or 0.
New Zealand is one of the first countries to see in the new day, as it is situated at the eastern most part of the International Date Line, midnight in Auckland occurring at 1100 GMT.