Because English is widely used throughout the world, bishops from English-speaking countries created one translation group, the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL), which gathered translators, poets, biblical scholars, and others to produce the English texts of the Mass and other sacraments.
What does ICEL stand for?
ICEL stands for International Commission on English in the Liturgy
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of ICEL
We have 30 other meanings of ICEL in our Acronym Attic
- International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems
- Induced Current Electrical Impedance Tomography (medical imaging)
- International Conference on Education and Information Technology
- International Council of Energetic Integration Trainers
- Greater Hartford Interfaith Coalition for Equity and Justice (also seen as GHICEJ; Hartford, CT)
- International Center for Education of Journalists (Croatia)
- International Christian Embassy Jerusalem
- Iowa City Early Keyboard Society (Iowa)
- Indonesian Center for Environmental Law
- Institute for Citizen Education in the Law (Seattle, WA)
- International Committee on English in the Liturgy
- International Conference on e-Learning
- International Consortium for Experiential Learning
- International Centre of Excellence for Local EDemocracy
- International Conference on Education, Labor and Emancipation
- International Conference on E-Learning in Industrial Electronics
- Improved Code-Excited Linear Prediction (software)
- International Centre for the Enhancement of Learning Potential (Israel)
- International Centre for English Language Studies (Oxford Brookes University, UK)
- ICOM (International Council Of Museums) Code of Ethics for Museums
Samples in periodicals archive:
A Vox Clara statement said its meeting reviewed the most recent draft translations of the Roman Missal, as produced in English by the International Commission on English in the Liturgy, which is preparing the translation in several sections.
Vatican City -- The translation of 'pro multis' as 'for all' by the International Commission on English in the Liturgy after the Second Vatican Council, has generated more controversy than any other single translation in the various vernaculars of the Mass.
Bruce Harbert is executive director of the Secretariat for the International Commission on English in the Liturgy.
Vatican City -- The International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) has issued a new draft translation of the main Mass prayers in English.
On this point, he said that 38 American bishops wrote to the International Commission on English in the Liturgy requesting a revision, but the language came back unchanged.
Bishop Doyle served as the chairman of the English sector Commission on Liturgy of the Canadian Confederence of Catholic Bishops from 1979 to 1989, and as the CCCB representative with the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) where he was vice-president from 1991 to 1997.
But according to Clark, the English-speaking bishops on the catechism commission, and members of the International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL), inclusive language had been, in fact, the policy of the Holy See.