Most international ship operators are trading in the worst shipping markets in living memory due to there being too many ships chasing too few cargoes," Peter Hinchliffe, secretary general of the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS), said on Monday.
What does ICS stand for?
ICS stands for International Chamber of Shipping
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of ICS
We have 895 other meanings of ICS in our Acronym Attic
- Intermittent Control System (environment)
- Intermountain Christian School
- Internal Calibrations System
- Internal Controls Service
- Internal Countermeasures System (Tactical Electronic Warfare Systems)
- Internal Customer Support
- International Cable Systems (Sprint)
- International Camellia Society
- International Centre for Science and High Technology
- International Certification Services, Inc. (various organizations)
- International Chemometrics Society
- International Child Support
- International Chili Society
- International Christian School
- International Classification for Standards
- International Clematis Society
- International Cloning Society
- International Cold Storage
- International Collectors Society
- International College of Surgeons
Samples in periodicals archive:
It is apparent that ships can get insurance cover from some governments and some insurers," said Peter Hinchliffe, secretary general of the International Chamber of Shipping, which represents more than 80 per cent of the world's merchant fleet.
High level representatives from the international maritime community expected to attend include the secretary general of the IMO, Koji Sekimizu, chairman of the IMO Maritime Safety Committee, Christian Breinholt, secretary general of the International Chamber of Shipping, Commander Peter Hinchliffe, chairman of the International Association of Classification Societies, Tom Boardley, managing director of the International Association of Independent Tanker Owners (INTERTANKO) Katharina Stanzel and assistant secretary-general and director of the Maritime Safety Division -- IMO, Andrew Winbow.
PIRACY CONCERNS In his address, the Secretary General of the International Chamber of Shipping and International Shipping Federation, Peter Hinchliffe, said that piracy is one of the biggest problems faced by the international shipping community today and called on the International Maritime Organisation and governments in general to push for a comprehensive international legal framework to combat piracy.
See Chong 2008; International Chamber of Shipping 2004; Tetley 2003.
The International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) has also clarified its stance on the use of private armed security guards to defend merchant ships against attacks by Somali pirates.
The conference which will be held under the auspices of United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (Uncitral), International Maritime Committee), and the International Chamber of Shipping, aims to put in place a single regime for worldwide application and updating provisions which are lacking in modernisation of trading practices.
Peter Hinchliffe, the marine director of the International Chamber of Shipping, commented: "It is a massive area and there are just not the warships to patrol it .