Their paper in the journal Icarus, which combines CIRS data with additional infrared images from other Earth-based telescopes, including NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility at Mauna Kea, Hawaii, also reports a powerful collar of clockwise winds -- encompassing a bizarre soup of gases -- around the vortex.
What does IRTF stand for?
IRTF stands for Infrared Telescope Facility (NASA)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of IRTF
We have 7 other meanings of IRTF in our Acronym Attic
- Investment Recovery Trade Corporation (Asset Management & Liquidation Exchange)
- Interconnect Reliability Test Chip-1
- International Research and Training Centre on Erosion and Sedimentation (China)
- Integrated Real-Time Contamination Monitor (US NASA)
- Indian Roads and Transport Development Association
- International Recreational and Technical Diving Association (Croatia)
- Institute for Road Traffic Education (est. 1991; India)
- Institute of Road Transport Engineers
- Immediate Reaction Task Force
- Individual Returns Transaction File
- International Radio & Television Foundation, Inc.
- Internet Research Task Force
- NASA Infrared Telescope Facility (Mauna Kea, Hawaii)
- Immediate Reaction Task Force (Air)
- Immediate Reaction Task Force (Land)
- Immediate Reaction Task Force (Sea)
- Individual Returns Transaction File On-Line
- Improved Road Transport Governance (US Agency for International Development)
- International Research Training Group (various organizations)
- Infrared Terminally Guided Sub-Munition
Samples in periodicals archive:
Data from the OSIRIS camera on ESA's Rosetta spacecraft, ESO's New Technology Telescope (NTT) at the La Silla Observatory in Chile, and NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility in Hawaii and Spitzer Space Telescope were combined to create the most complete spectrum of an asteroid ever assembled.
But subsequent observations by Richard Binzel and Francesca DeMeo of MIT using NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility in Hawaii indicated that the objects were only about half that size.
The Space Infrared Telescope Facility, known as SIRTF, is the last of four Nasa spacecraft designed to peer deeper into the universe using an array of tools that measure light of varying wavelengths.
The Space Infrared Telescope Facility, which these scientists will use to conduct their investigations, will be launched in July 2002.
Brush also supplied beryllium mirrors and critical structures for the Space Infrared Telescope Facility, since renamed the Spitzer Space Telescope.
Using NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility on Mauna Kea, Hawaii, experts at University of North Dakota Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany, have found a new kind of asteroid.
Working separately, two teams of scientists using NASA's Infrared Telescope Facility in Hawaii found that the 24 Themis, which orbits the Sun between Mars and Jupiter, is literally covered in a thin coating of frost.