Key elements of the new plan include: shift to individual transferable quota, based on kilograms of lobsters to be taken 12-month fishing season for all zones retention of the existing restrictions on the number of pots a fisher may use provision for new electronic licensing and quota monitoring system (Fish Eye) to be used in the fishery.
What does ITQ stand for?
ITQ stands for Individual Transferable Quota
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Business, finance, etc.
See other definitions of ITQ
We have 16 other meanings of ITQ in our Acronym Attic
- Independent Third Party Testing Agency
- Ikatan Teknisi Pesawat Udara (Indonesian: Aircraft Technicians Association)
- International Trade Policy Unit (UK)
- Independent Third Party Verification
- Intratumoral Patent Portal Vein (radiology)
- International Trade Procedures Working Group (UN)
- IPv6 Transition Plan Working Group
- International Telecommunication Professionals Exchange
- Improving Teacher Quality (state grant)
- Improving Training Quality (conference; World Bank)
- Information Technology Qualification (UK)
- Innovation, Technology and Quality (Euro-Mediterranean Partnership)
- Instituto Tecnológico de Querétaro (Spanish: Technological Institute of Queretaro; Mexico)
- Invitation To Quote
- Industrial Training and Quality Assurance (South Africa)
- International Tibetan Qigong Association (San Francisco, CA)
- Instituto de Tecnolgia Quimica e Biológica (Portugese)
- International Tax Quantitative Consulting Service (accounting)
- Improving Teacher Quality Higher Education
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) Training and Qualification Initiative (est. 2007)
Samples in periodicals archive:
A sampling of specific topics includes: excess fishing capacity, property and use rights in fisheries, international fisheries law and the transferability of quotas, the economics of allocation in tuna regional fisheries management organizations, allocating fish across jurisdictions, individual transferable quotas for bycatches, prospects for use rights in tuna regional fisheries management organizations, and flags of convenience and property rights on the high seas.
Called individual fishing quotas (IFQs) or individual transferable quotas (ITQs), "catch shares" are similar to the tradable privileges in the cap-and-trade regulation of carbon emissions.
1) Hannesson favours individual transferable quotas [ITQs]: fish quotas assigned by the state to economic entities, which may be transferred for specified periods or permanently by lease, sale, or other forms of property transaction such as inheritance.
Before turning to these examples, I wish to suggest that where strong territorially based use rights are vested in a community, or where a producers' organisation represents a community of fishers, Individual Transferable Quotas may be modified according to joint or collective ownership rights.
New Zealand and Iceland, for example, have adopted individual transferable quotas, or "ITQs.
Best known among rights-based regimes are individual transferable quota (ITQ) systems, in which individual license holders in a fishery are assigned fractions of the TAG adopted by the fishery managers, and these quotas are transferable among license holders by sale or lease.
In 1986, New Zealand created the best working model for a rights-based fisheries management system by dividing their fish into Individual Transferable Quotas (ITQs).