When IMAX started it was all about the size of the screen but they are moving away from that concept of Image Maximum.
What does IMAX stand for?
IMAX stands for Image MAXimum (Imax Corporation registered trademark for advanced film format/projection system)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Business, finance, etc.
See other definitions of IMAX
We have 1 other meaning of IMAX in our Acronym Attic
- Independent Municipal and Allied Trade Union (South Africa)
- Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht
- International Martial Arts Union (Moscow, Russia)
- Islamic Medical Association of Uganda
- Intermediate Maintenance Availability
- International Medical Association Against War
- Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association
- Infantry Manportable Anti-armor Weapon System
- Infantry Manportable Assault Weapon System
- Integrated Multiple Aimpoint Weapon Selector
- Isotope Matter-Antimatter Experiment (spectrometry)
- Instituto do Homem E Meio Ambiente da Amazônia (Brazil)
- I Am Back
- I Am Bored
- Ikatan Mahasiswa Biologi Untuk Konservasi Lingkungan
- Illawarra Mutual Building Society (Australian credit union)
- Independent Monitoring Boards (UK)
- IndyMac Bank (Pasadena, CA)
- Initial Medical Board
- Inoffizieller Mitarbeiter zur Beeinflussung (Political Police Influence Agent, GDR)
Samples in periodicals archive:
IMAX - short for Image MAXimum - is a film format and projection standard created by Canada's IMAX Corporation.
Fact File The name Imax derives from image maximum Imax films use frames five to ten times the size of conventional films, giving far greater clarity The projector weighs 2,900lbs, almost the same as a Vauxhall Vectra Each film roll weighs over 220lbs The sound system boasts 27,000 watts CAPTION(S): Imax provides enormous 3D excitement - and terror