Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), currently known for its therapeutic benefits against HIV, also reduced the spread of the virus among people with a history of injection drug use, according to a population-based study funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a component of the National Institutes of Health.
What does HAART stand for?
HAART stands for Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HIV and AIDS treatment)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of HAART
- Huntsville Area Association of Realtors (Huntsville, AL)
- Hispanic American Amateur Radio Club
- Hastings Area Archaeological Research Group
- Historic Architectural and Archaeology Resources Geographic Information System (Illinois)
- Healthy Americans against Reforming Medicine (Washington, DC)
- High-Altitude Auroral Research Project
- High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program
- HIV AIDS Asia Regional Program (Bangkok, Thailand)
- High-Altitude Airdrop Resupply System (US DoD)
- Henryetta Animal Aid Rescue Team
- Histamine activating antiviral regressive therapy
- HIV/AIDS Alliance for Region Two, Inc.
- Humanistic Alternatives to Addiction, Research and Treatment
- Hardware as a Service
- Heart of America Aquarium Society (Kansas City)
- Hebei Academy of Agricultural Sciences (China)
- Hollywood Academy of Arts and Science (charter school; Hollywood, FL)
- Honolulu-Asia Aging Study
- Hunter Area Assistance Scheme (Australia)
- High Altitude Anti-Submarine Warfare
Samples in periodicals archive:
Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) began to overturn the automatic death sentence associated with AIDS after this powerful cocktail of drugs was introduced in 1996.
1) For all 177 inmates in the sample, the current incarceration was at least the second within a year; at the time of their previous release, those known to have HIV infection had been linked to a program that would provide up to five months of HIV-related services, and those taking highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) had been given a week's supply of their medications and a prescription for a month's refill.
He improved throughout a 2-week hospital stay and highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) was begun.
Immunological response to highly active antiretroviral therapy in children with clinically stable HIV-1 infection.
Data were divided into three periods: the pre-HIV era (1973-1984), the HIV era (1985-1995), and the highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) era (1996-2000).
[FIGURES 1-2 OMITTED] KS in HIV-infected patients can be treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy, salivary gland chemotherapy, and radiation and/or complete surgical excision.
Multiple-drug regimens known as highly active antiretroviral therapy, or HAART, have been literally a lifesaver for people with AIDS.