An Institute of Medicine committee could not reach consensus on a single definition of Gulf War illness and recommended in a new report that clinicians and researchers at least narrow it down to two definitions.
What does GWI stand for?
GWI stands for Gulf War Illness
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GWI
We have 30 other meanings of GWI in our Acronym Attic
- Genesee Wyoming, Inc. (freight railroads; various locations)
- Global Water Initiative (various locations)
- Global Water Intelligence
- Goodwill Industries (various locations)
- Great Works Internet
- Greenhouse Warming Index
- Greenwood International, Inc.
- Grinding Wheel Institute
- Groupware Incorporated (Vancouver, WA)
- Gulf & Western Industries, Inc.
- Guyana Water Inc
- God's Will in Action (church ministry)
- Grassroots Women's International Academy
- GroupWise Internet Agent
- Greater Washington Ibero American Chamber of Commerce
- Geneva Women in Business (Illinois)
- Graduate Women in Biology (University of Southern California)
- Graduate Women in Business
- Global Warming International Center
- GNU (GNU's Not Unix) Wavelet Image Codec (algorithm)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Department of Defense (DoD) as one of two DoD Gulf War Illness Research Program Consortium awardees.
At present, no effective treatments have been identified for Gulf War illness, and studies indicate that few veterans have recovered from their symptoms.
Most Gulf War veterans do not have a formal psychiatric disorder and rates of post-traumatic stress disorder among the group are low, research by the Gulf War Illness Research Unit has shown.
Studies have documented the presence of chemical sensitivity symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) (16), Gulf War Illness (15), as well as a high prevalence of CFS symptoms in those recruited as having MCS (8,).
Like many major newspaper, the New York Times published few stories on gulf war illness -- less than a dozen from 1993 until the Pentagon announcement last June.
Research Establishes Medical Basis for Symptoms of Gulf War Illness
WASHINGTON, March 14, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest wartime veterans service organization is expressing "great concern" over allegations that the Department of Veterans Affairs has grossly mishandled the care of Gulf War Illness patients.