The first step is the join Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) project by going to www.
What does GIMPS stand for?
GIMPS stands for Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
See other definitions of GIMPS
We have 1 other meaning of GIMPS in our Acronym Attic
- Global Internet Maintenance Organization :-)
- Gruppo Italiano Movimenti Oculari (Italian: Italian Group Ocular Movements)
- Generic Incursion Management Plan (Australia)
- GNU Image Manipulation Program
- Grandpa in My Pocket (TV show)
- Graphics and Image Manipulation Program (software)
- Great Internet Mersenne Prime (prime number collaborative; free computer software)
- Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration
- Golgi Integral Membrane Protein, Cis
- General Internet Messaging Protocol for Signaling
- Global Interactive Media Recruitment (UK)
- General Insurance Market Research Association (London)
- Geodesy, Intelligence and Mapping Research and Development Agency
- Government Institute for Mentally Retarded Children (India)
- Gamma Isotope Mapping System
- Garment Inventory Management System (InvoTech Systems, Inc.)
- Geographic Information Management System
- Geospatial Information Management System
- Geotechnical Information Management System (software)
- Global Initiative for Mother Support (WABA)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Primequest The Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, a cooperative computing project, helps find a prime with nearly 13 million digits (SN Online: 9/20/08).
He installed software on to the department's computers from the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (Gimps), which uses downtime on volunteers' PCs to hunt for ever larger prime numbers.
PrimeNet runs on the Entropia network for the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), a worldwide high-performance computing search that primarily benefits mathematical theorists, but also interests participants ranging from elementary students and homemakers to scientists.
Affectionately known as the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), this Entropia-powered project has members in more than 80 countries contributing their unused PC resources to advance mathematics research.
A participant in the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search found the largest known prime number, which runs to 4,053,946 decimal digits (160: 372).
A participant in the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) has identified the largest prime number yet.
Founded in 1996, a worldwide effort to identify record-breaking primes--numbers evenly divisible only by themselves and 1--has attracted more than 13,000 participants to the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) (SN: 2/21/98, p.