The cloak, designed by Cheng Sun, assistant professor of mechanical engineering at Northwestern's McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, uses micro fabricated gradient-index materials to manipulate the reflection and refraction of light.
What does GRIN stand for?
GRIN stands for Gradient-Index (field in optics)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GRIN
We have 13 other meanings of GRIN in our Acronym Attic
- Grassroots Impeachment Movement
- Guidance, Rationale, and Interoperability Modalities
- Gender Research in Music Education (Queen University; Canada)
- Ground Requisition Is Monitored on Annual Calendar (WWII military supply term)
- Geometrical Ray Implementation for Mobile Propagation Modeling
- Golombok Rust Inventory of Marital State
- Genetics, Robotics, Information & Nanotechnology
- Germplasm Resources Information Network
- Golden Retrievers in Need (Cleveland, OH)
- Graded Index (type of fiber optic)
- Grand Rapids Information Network (TV station)
- Grand River Information Network (Canada)
- Great Images in NASA (website)
- Greek Inventory
- Ghost (and) Rydberg Intermediate Neglect of Differential Overlap
- General Research Institute for Nonferrous Metals (China)
- GRaphical INterface for SMIL
- Graded-Index Separate Confinement Heterostructure
- Group for International Solidarity
- Graphic Intelligence Summary
Samples in periodicals archive:
Our patented endoGRINS[R] gradient-index lenses are built into our exclusive line of Hawkeye[R] Rigid Precision Borescopes.
Among the systems covered over the course of 43 chapters are telephoto lenses, eyepieces, afocal optical systems, periscope systems, enlarging and copying lenses, projection lenses, wedge-plate and rotary-prism cameras, optically and mechanically compensated zoom lenses, copy lenses with variable magnification, gradient-index lenses, spectrographic systems, and diffractive systems.