Muscle fatigue with an aberrant spinal cord reflex preventing activation of golgi tendon organs in the muscle also leads to hyper-stimulation without down regulation.
What does GTO stand for?
GTO stands for Golgi Tendon Organ (anatomy)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GTO
We have 66 other meanings of GTO in our Acronym Attic
- Geostationary Transfer Orbit
- Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit
- German Toilet Organization (Berlin, Germany)
- Get Tools Out (car slang)
- Gets Towed Often (cars)
- Getting to Outcomes (various locations)
- Getting Too Old
- Global Tax Outsourcing
- Global Threat Overview
- Go To
- Gomer Tip Over (medical slang)
- Good Time Oldies
- Gorontalo, Indonesia - Tolotio (Airport Code)
- Gran Turismo Omologato (Ferrari & Pontiac models)
- Grand Touring Option (Pontiac)
- Grand Tourisme de l'Ouest (French automobile dealer)
- Great Teacher Onizuka (Japanese series)
- Greater Than One (various locations)
- Groothandel Truck Onderdelen (Dutch: Wholesale Truck Parts)
- Gross Turn Over (rate)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Six seconds is used because, according to the neurophysiology of the muscle, it takes at least six seconds for the Golgi tendon organ to send impulses that trigger the muscle to relax and become receptive to the stretch.
When a muscle in a stretched position is held and then contracted, proprioceptors (sensory end organs in muscles, tendons, and joints) called golgi tendon organs (GTOs) are stimulated.