Tributes have been pouring in for Ian Sandy, the colourful, 'gentle giant' of Birmingham's theatreland who died at the age of 48 I went to school with Ian, I remember him when he did the children's series God's Wonderful Railway, he filled the school with his larger than life character and laughter.
What does GWR stand for?
GWR stands for God's Wonderful Railway (Great Western Railway nickname)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of GWR
We have 50 other meanings of GWR in our Acronym Attic
- Great Western Quartet Convention
- Ground Water Quality Criteria
- Georgia Water Quality Control Act
- Ground-Water Quality Monitoring
- Ground Water Quality Rule (Board of Environmental Quality; Idaho)
- Ground Water Quality Standards
- General War Reserves
- Geographically Weighted Regression
- Gift with Reservation (taxation)
- Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway (UK)
- Graphical Wireless Reporting
- Great Way Round (Great Western Railway nickname)
- Great Western Radio (international radio group)
- Great Western Railway (UK Company)
- Greater Washington Region (Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC)
- Gross Weight on Rail (transportation)
- Ground-Water Recharge (geology; various locations)
- Guinness World Records
- Gloucestershire Worcestershire Railwayana Auctions (UK; railway memorabilia auction)
- Game Winning Run Batted In
Samples in periodicals archive:
Eight years ago, in the days before The X Factor, the former child actor on God's Wonderful Railway and other TV programmes such as Juliet Bravo decided to launch BSS Spotlight, since rebranded as BSS Showbiz.
But to the more discerning, this is the former Great Western Railway, also known as God's Wonderful Railway, a slightly ironic nickname nodding simultaneously to its achievements and also its sense of self-importance.