2011 Sep;1812(9):1170-81 THE EFFECT OF GLUCOSAMINE AND/OR CHONDROITIN SULFATE ON THE PROGRESSION OF KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS: A REPORT FROM THE GLUCOSAMINE/CHONDROITIN ARTHRITIS INTERVENTION TRIAL OBJECTIVE: Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee causes significant morbidity and current medical treatment is limited to symptom relief, while therapies able to slow structural damage remain elusive.
What does GAIT stand for?
GAIT stands for Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (NIH)
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GAIT
We have 18 other meanings of GAIT in our Acronym Attic
- Government Automated Information System
- Grid Advanced Information Service (resource)
- Gut-Associated Immune System
- Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Statistics Education
- General Assembly of International Sports Federations (now General Association of International Sports Federations)
- General Association of International Sports Federations
- Generally Accepted Information Security Principles
- Guru Angad Institute of Sikh Studies (Leesburg, VA)
- Generally Accepted IT Principles
- Global Alpine Institute of Technology
- Graphic Arts and Imaging Technology (various schools)
- Ground/Airborne Integrated Terminal (GPS)
- GSM ANSI-41 Interoperability Team (cellular technology)
- GSM/ANSI-136 Interoperability Team
- Governor's Academy for Innovation, Technology and Engineering (Virginia)
- Global Avionics Interface Test System
- Graphic Arts International Union
- General Artificial Intelligence Workshop
- Grace ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) Import Wizard
- Galactoxylomannan (virology)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The dietary supplements glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, together or alone, appeared to fare no better than placebo in slowing loss of cartilage in osteoarthritis of the knee, researchers from the Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) team report in the October issue of "Arthritis & Rheumatism.
2], and were less overweight than patients in some similar trials such as the National Institutes of Health's Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial.
In their ongoing Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT), the NIH is currently testing the conclusions of a meta-analysis that found glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate to be as effective as a nonsteroidal in attenuating stage-one OA over the long term; it even improved patients' x-ray scores.
Moskowitz is an advisor to the Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT), which is being funded by the National Institutes of Health.
One such study, the Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT), published in the February 23, 2006 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine, was designed to rigorously evaluate the efficacy and safety of these agents alone and in combination when taken over a 24-week period.
The question of whether use of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate either together or alone can delay progression of osteoarthritis may be answered by the eventual findings from ongoing ancillary studies that are part of the Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial, according to Dr.
The Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) evaluated the safety and efficacy of glucosamine and chondroitin taken alone or in combination, as compared to Celebrex, in reducing knee pain associated with osteoarthritis.