In June 2000, Mohammed Atef, then second-in-command, and Ayman al-Zawahiri visited the Philippines and the Aceh special territory in Indonesia, where the Free Aceh Movement (in Indonesian, Gerakan Aceh Merdeka, or simply GAM) had been trying to form a Muslim state since 1976.
What does GAM stand for?
GAM stands for Gerakan Aceh Merdeka (Indonesian: Free Aceh Movement)
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of GAM
We have 111 other meanings of GAM in our Acronym Attic
- Gay Asian Men
- Gender Analysis Matrix
- General Aeronautical Material
- General Annual Meeting
- Generalized Additive Models
- Generalized Admittance Matrix
- Generic Aerodata Model
- Geographic Analysis and Monitoring (USGS)
- Georgia Anne Muldrow (musician)
- Geotechnical Asset Management
- German-American Musicians Association (Buffalo, New York)
- Giant Activity Matrix (information technology; business rules used by an application)
- Glaucoma Awareness Month
- Global Account Management (Sprint)
- Global Acute Malnutrition
- Global Alliance Manager
- Global Array Manager (Netframe)
- Global Asset Management (various locations)
- Goat Anti-Mouse (cell biology)
- Goodwill Association of Michigan
Samples in periodicals archive:
But excessive centralization and unjust exploitation of its resources by Jakarta led to the founding of the separatist Gerakan Aceh Merdeka (GAM, or Free Aceh Movement) in 1976.
Indonesian authorities blame most of the piracy attacks in that region on the Free Aceh Movement also known as Gerakan Aceh Merdeka (GAM), which is seeking to break off from Jakarta and set up an independent state.