20 /PRNewswire/ -- A January letter to its members from the president of the Georgia Industrial Loan Association (GILA) shows the powerful lobbying group sought to abolish the payday lending industry in Georgia -- at the same time the Legislature was being misled to believe that regulating the payday advance industry was their only goal.
What does GILA stand for?
GILA stands for Georgia Industrial Loan Association (est. 1951; Macon, GA)
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
- Business, finance, etc.
See other definitions of GILA
We have 2 other meanings of GILA in our Acronym Attic
- Gioventù Italiana del Littorio (Italian fascist organization for children, pre WW2)
- Global Information Infrastructure
- Global Information Link
- Global Interpreter Lock (to protect Python objects from being modified from multiple threads at once)
- Green Indicating Lamp
- Grinnell-in-London (study abroad program; UK)
- Gross Incurred Losses (insurance)
- Growth, Innovation and Leadership (Frost & Sullivan; Mountain View, CA)
- Gujarat Informatics Limited
- Galena Interior Learning Academy (Alaska)
- Greenbelt Interfaith Leadership Association (Greenbelt, MD)
- Guinea-Pig Ileal Loop Assay (microbiology)
- Global Initiative on Late Blight
- Greatest Integer Lower Bound
- Georgia International Leadership Conference
- Global Initiative for Local Computing
- Global Internet Liberty Campaign
- Grace International Learning Center (English-language preschool; Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan)
- Great Indian Laughter Challenge (Indian reality television show)
- Gradual Increase in Length and Complexity of Utterance (speech therapy)
Samples in periodicals archive:
11, 2004 An analysis of two loans made to consumers by companies that are members of the Georgia Industrial Loan Association (GILA) shows that after various fees and charges, and auto, credit and life insurance were added on, the loans cost the borrowers much more than a cash advance from a reputable payday lending firm.
3 /PRNewswire/ -- The Georgia Industrial Loan Association (GILA), a powerful lobbying group composed of owners of small installment loan companies, is attempting to persuade the House Banks and Banking Committee to support a proposed law that will eliminate their competition and allow GILA companies to dominate the small lending market by outlawing the popular payday advance industry in Georgia.