and Northrop Grumman (NOC) -- was later voided when Boeing convinced the General Accounting Office that the Air Force had acted inconsistently with the guidelines it had set at the start [a faux pas that prompted Defense Secretary Robert Gates to strip the Air Force of the final decision].
What does GAO stand for?
GAO stands for General Accounting Office (now Government Accountability Office)
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of GAO
We have 63 other meanings of GAO in our Acronym Attic
- Greater Atlanta Nanjing University Alumni Association
- Groupe Évangélique pour la Nonviolence (French: Evangelical Group for Non-Violence)
- Glaucoma Associates of New York
- Guides Association of New York City (New York, NY)
- Gallery Association of New York State
- Gas Association of New Zealand
- German in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Gestalt Australia and New Zealand (psychotherapy)
- Game Advertising Online (network)
- Garfunkel and Oates (band)
- General Administration Office
- Georgia Advocacy Office
- Goal Achievement Objective
- Golf Association of Ontario (Canada)
- Government Accountability Office (formerly General Accounting Office)
- Governmental Affairs Office (various organizations)
- General Accounting Office, Health, Education and Human Services Division
- Groundwater Assessment in the Okanagan Basin (Canada)
- Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (cartoon)
- Golden Arrow Overseas Consulting (China)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The General Accounting Office (GAO) has long been one of the most important agencies in Washington.
NOTE TO embezzlers: An April report from the General Accounting Office (GAO) suggests that if you want to get away with ripping off your employer, you should consider a job in government.
A 2002 General Accounting Office investigation concluded that environmental laws had actually not hindered military operations and that the military had never taken advantage of national security clauses that allow it exemptions in times of crisis.
General Accounting Office (GAO) report on the Paperwork Reduction Act (PRA) reveals a record increase in federal agencies' burden estimates.
General Accounting Office (GAO), Newborn Screening: Characteristics of State Programs, Washington, DC: GAO, 2003.
The General Accounting Office, Congress's investigative arm, says that not-for-profit and government-operated nursing homes had negative profit margins from Medicare in 1999, but had small profit margins a year later when Congress provided additional Medicare funding, which expired last October.
Tuesday's hearing coincided with the release of a General Accounting Office report that found ``a broad array of federal operations and assets at risk of fraud, misuses and disruption.