And it has therefore been supplemented with an index that takes gender equality into consideration, the Gender related Development Index The Gender-related Development Index (GDI) is comprised of the same indicators as the HDI, but they are first calculated separately for men and women and then an index is constructed that lowers the GDI compared to the HDI according to the level of unequal distribution between the groups.
What does GDI stand for?
GDI stands for Gender-related Development Index
This definition appears very frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of GDI
We have 121 other meanings of GDI in our Acronym Attic
- Ground Data Handling System
- Graduate Diploma in Health Studies (University of Queensland; Brisbane, Australia)
- Glacial Drumlin Horse Trail Association
- Gamma Delta Iota (fraternity)
- Garage Doors, Inc. (San Jose, CA)
- Gardner Denver, Inc. (Wayne, PA)
- Gasoline Direct Injection
- GDP Dissociation Inhibitor
- Gender Development Index
- General Delegation of Independents
- Generic Display Interface
- Getting Data In
- Global Defense Initiative (Command & Conquer game)
- Global Defense Initiative (Command and Conquer game)
- Global Domains International (web hosting)
- God Damn Independent (slang for someone not living in dorms, housing, or Greek System)
- God Damn It
- Gonzaga Debate Institute (debate camp)
- Gosh Darn It
Samples in periodicals archive:
3) Forty-eight countries, in all their diversity of human development ranking and skewed Gender-related Development Index (GDI) indicators, offer a major challenge to governments, international donors and civil society activists.
Gender-related Development Index (GDI) and Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM) 2.
Since 1995, UNDP has also produced the Gender-related Development Index (GDI) which discounts the Human Development Index (HDI) for gender inequality.
2) More recently, a gender-related development index and a gender empowerment measure have been formulated and published in United Nations (1995).
Currently, standard measures of women's empowerment, such as the Gender-related Development Index (GDI) and the Gender Empowerment Measure (GEM), do not factor in aspects of sexual and reproductive rights that are so essential for women's autonomy and bodily integrity.
5) Sri Lanka has the highest gender-related development index ranking of any South Asian country, and a number of government mechanisms, including the Ministry of Women's Affairs, the Women's Bureau and the National Committee on Women ensure that priority is given to women's needs and concerns.