I don't think the cowboy thing has been on the gay radar but Brokeback Mountain seems to have flipped a switch.
What does GAYDAR stand for?
GAYDAR stands for Gay Radar
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
- Grazing-Angle X-Ray Diffraction
- Glancing Angle X-Ray Diffraction
- Good As You (British)
- Gorgeous and Young
- Great American Youth (web documentary series)
- Green And Yellow
- Gay People at Cornell (university group)
- Georgia Author of the Year Award (est. 1964)
- Georgia Association on Young Children
- Google Apps for Your Domain
- Give As You Earn
- Gay and Lesbian Attorneys of Washington
- Go As You Please
- Go Ask Your Sponsor (Alcoholics Anonymous chat slang)
- Garner Area Youth Sports League
- General Authority of Youth and Sports Welfare (United Arab Emirates)
- Georg-August-Zinn Schule (German: George August Zinn School; Kassel, Hesse, Germany)
- Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod (Gorky)
- Gruppo Agenti Zurigo (Italian: Zurich Group Agents; insurance)
Samples in periodicals archive:
the straight, 26-year-old Maryland native turns up on gay radar screens again in the title role in Borstal Boy (now playing in New York and Los Angeles and opening in other cities this spring).
YOUR letter illustrates the fact that gay people aren't all equipped with some kind of "gaydar" - gay radar - that means they can spot other gay people in a crowd.