Arbour and Blackburn tell us something quite different: "It is a huge undertaking for gay and lesbian youth to acknowledge who they are (my emphasis), understand what this entails, see themselves as worthy human beings, and determine when they are ready to come out to family or close friends.
What does GALY stand for?
GALY stands for Gay And Lesbian Youth
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of GALY
- Gibbon Ape Leukemia Virus
- Gibbon Ape Lymphosarcoma Virus
- Global Alliance for Livestock Vaccines
- Grapevine Algerian Latent Virus (plant disease)
- Gibbon Ape Leukaemia Virus Envelope Fusogenic Membrane Glycoprotein
- Gay and Lesbian Vaishnava Association
- Gemini Agena Launch Vehicle Working Group
- Gila/Aldo Leopold Wilderness Complex (New Mexico)
- Gay And Lesbian Youth In Calderdale (Calderdale, UK)
- Gays and Lesbians of Zimbabwe
- Galvanised after Manufacture (materials)
- Gambell, Alaska (Airport Code)
- Gamers Against Morons
- Games Factory Game (File Extension)
- Garage Auto Mercuri (French automobile dealer)
- Gay Asian Male
- Gay Asian Men
- Gender Analysis Matrix
Samples in periodicals archive:
Soon after Jennings helped form the GSA, the Republican governor asked him to serve as chairman of the state's education committee on gay and lesbian youths.
Only 25% of counselors surveyed consider themselves "highly competent" serving gay and lesbian youth, two-thirds of counselors report negative feelings toward GLBT youth and less than 20% report having received training to work with this population (Price & Telljohan, 1991).
This loss of radical individualism has caused many gay and lesbian youths to take on alternate sexual identities that allow for growth and exploration.
We want to be an example to gay and lesbian youth that it is possible to be gay, out, and have a career; it's possible to be spiritual; it's possible to love yourself and be in a relationship and function within society.
last May, longtime gay rights activist LaQuetta Nelson decided to create a place where gay and lesbian youth could find safety and get support.
And while the far right has appropriated such stats to "prove" that being gay is inherently pathological, gay rights advocates have used them to show the need for more education and social services specifically targeted at gay and lesbian youths.
We saw lots of gay high school students wasting energy worrying if they should put down that they were gay on their applications," says Mark Taggart of the Massachusetts Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth, which organized the fair along with the state's annual gay-straight youth pride celebration.