2011) in a study conducted in Dakota proposed an important report on the free flow speed in highway.
What does FFS stand for?
FFS stands for Free Flow Speed (highway capacity, civil engineering)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of FFS
We have 170 other meanings of FFS in our Acronym Attic
- For Freak's Sake (polite form)
- For Further Study
- Force Feel System
- ForFakeSight (band)
- Form Fill Seal (packaging)
- Formation Flight System (US DoD)
- Formatted File System
- Forum for Free Speech
- Frankford Friends School (Philadelphia, PA)
- Free Fall Sensor (hard disk drives)
- Free-Form Surface (optics)
- Freedom for Some (internet news)
- Freedom from Smoking (American Lung Association; smoking cessation)
- Freie Fettsäure (German: free fatty acid)
- Friends for Sale (Facebook application)
- Fringe-Field Switching (Hyundai Electronics)
- Front des Forces Socialistes
- Front Forces de Socialiste (Socialist Forces Front; political party, Algeria)
- Front Freight Solution (Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight; UK)
- Full Flight Simulator
Samples in periodicals archive:
1 (South Dixie Highway) Length of Journey 161 miles (3 hours 12 minutes) Worst Corridor From Downtown Miami to Kendall Average Speed 26 mph Travel Time w/Traffic 6 hours 11 minutes Miami to Hollywood, FL (Hard Rock Seminole) Route I-95 and FL-91 (Ronald Reagan Turnpike) Length of Journey 23 miles (30 minutes) Worst Corridor No obvious bottleneck Average Speed 35 mph Travel Time w/Traffic 39 minutes West Palm Beach, FL INRIX has already identified almost free flow speeds towards Hollywood, with the key pain point the Dolphin Expressway from Miami.
Tolling is a key funding tool for state transportation projects and all-electronic tolling can help reduce traffic congestion while providing drivers the convenience of traveling at free flow speeds.
While the general impact of congestion on freight is most significant during AM and PM peak travel times at a majority of the locations, there are several areas included in the study that experience slower than free flow speeds (which is set at 55 mph for this research) 24 hours per day.
Toll lanes will be constructed adjacent to heavily congested free lanes providing motorists with the option to drive in the free but congested GPLs or pay an optimized and continuously changing toll rate (depending on traffic levels) to drive at predictable free flow speeds in the MLs.
The generated vehicle is placed at the beginning of the test stretch with the speed that is a function of a free flow speed of the class, the acceleration/deceleration characteristics of the vehicles and the availability of front clearance.
The analysis regarding the distribution of free flow speeds for different vehicle categories showed that free speeds of different vehicle categories followed normal distribution.
Cars and trucks have their own characteristics such as free flow speed, vehicle size, a dynamic link function.