This year saw the International Rugby Board (IRB) introduce new directives to counter the impact of the controversial Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) which had the unintended effect of reducing many fixtures to bouts of 'aerial ping-pong' where teams kicked the ball aimlessly on Monday, said: "The biggest challenge to me is the practical challenge.
What does ELV stand for?
ELV stands for Experimental Law Variation (Rugby)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of ELV
We have 25 other meanings of ELV in our Acronym Attic
- Easy Labor Vibes (childbirth)
- École des Langues Vivantes (French: School of Modern Languages; Belgium)
- Electric Light Vehicle
- Electrical Low Voltage
- Elektronisches Lastschrift Verfahren (German method of payment)
- Emission Limit Value (environmental protection)
- End-of-Life Vehicles
- European Launch Vehicle (Italy)
- Europese Logistieke Vervoerders Coöperatie (Dutch: European Cooperative Logistics Carriers; various locations)
- Expendable Launch Vehicle
- Extinction-Level Event (widespread species loss)
- Extra Low Voltage
- Emergency Low Visibility Approach
- Expressed Luciferase Viability Assay (cells)
- East Leicestershire Villages Against Airspace (UK)
- Excimer Laser Vision Centre (Australia)
- East Las Vegas Community Development Corporation
- East of Lake Victoria Diocese (Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania)
- eggplant latent viroid
- Emerald Lake Village District (est. 1979; Hillsboro, NH)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The IRB has approved 10 of the 13 Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) for adoption into the laws of the game from next season.
O'Sullivan also blamed the ELVs - Experimental Law Variations - for ruining rugby as a spectacle in Australia, NewZealand and South Africa.
According to De Villiers, frustration over the IRB's strict breakdown protocols and the experimental law variations relating to the maul and the lineout is sapping the resolve of north and south alike.
That meant ditching the controversial sanctions regulation - where most penalties are replaced by freekicks - which was used in this year's SANZAR competitions but does not feature in the global trial of experimental law variations (ELVs).
The experimental law variations (ELVs) are sure to make their presence felt in the opening weeks, and one key change is that defenders must stand five metres back from the hindmost foot of the scrum, giving a big advantage to the attacking side particularly when the scrum is close to the tryline.
Despite the Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) taking the sting out of certain areas of the game, Grimes said starter ball will still be contested as strongly as ever.
The experimental law variations will depower a lot of the traditional mauling sides, of which there are quite a few in the Guinness Premiership, and then there are the EPS periods in which a number of teams will be pretty heavily hit by international call-ups.