He supports this argument by focusing on the establishment in the 1950s of the European Coal and Steel Community, the European Economic Community, and the European Defense Community, explaining both integration and resistance to integration as products of balance of power thinking.
What does EDC stand for?
EDC stands for European Defense Community
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of EDC
We have 361 other meanings of EDC in our Acronym Attic
- Error Detecting Code
- Error Detection & Correction
- Error Detection Code
- Estimated Date of Completion
- Estimated Date of Conception
- Estimated Date of Confinement
- Estimated Discharge Current
- Ethylene Dichloride
- Euro-Drive Clutches Inc.
- EUROLAS Data Center
- European Design Centre (Netherlands)
- European Documentation Centre
- European Drift Championship (car racing)
- Européenne de Cautionnement (French: European Bond)
- Europees Documentatie Centrum
- Éveil De Contres (French badminton club)
- Every Day Carry (knife collector slang)
- Every Drop Counts (various organizations)
- Everyday Carry (knife)
- Evonik Degussa Corporation (Evonik Industries; various locations)
Samples in periodicals archive:
The French made the point that its participation in the European Defense Community, a US goal, was at odds with the cost of the war in Indo China and that it needed financial assistance for Indo China or its EDC participation was in jeopardy.
It is intriguing how close Europe came, back in the early 1950s, to establishing a European Defense Community.
badgering for the establishment of a European defense community, U.
The first major attempt to bolster the European pillar was a 1950s proposal for a European Defense Community (EDC).
Following the individual conflict entries, which conclude about halfway into the fourth volume, come 16 articles on organizations, alliances, conventions, and negotiations, including the African Union, the Arab League, the Central Treaty Organization (the Baghdad Pact), the Non-Aligned Movement, the Economic Community of West African States, and the European Defense Community, among others.