Additionally, the UN Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (1984), the European Convention for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman and Degrading Treatment or Punishment (1987), the Inter-American Convention to Prevent and Punish Torture (1985) reject the use of torture methods.
What does ECPT stand for?
ECPT stands for European Convention for the Prevention of Torture
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of ECPT
We have 10 other meanings of ECPT in our Acronym Attic
- Erythrokeratodermia Congenitalis Progressiva Symmetrica Gottron (progressive inherited disease)
- Environmental Compliance and Protection Standard Operating Procedures
- Energy-Loss Coulomb-Repulsion Perturbed-Stationary-State Relativistic Theory
- East Cambridge Planning Team (East Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Eddy Current Pulsed Thermography (electrical engineering)
- Electric Cone Penetration Test (transportation science)
- Electronic Coin Public Telephone
- Electronic Curriculum Planning Tool (database; Florida Department of Education)
- Euro City Poker Tour (tournament)
- European Committee for the Prevention of Torture
- External Counter Pulsation Therapy (cardiology)
- European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations
- Executive Council of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Examiners (Texas)
- Enhanced Central Processing Unit
- Evaluation Committee of Private Universities (Cyprus)
- Entreprise Charentonnaise de Peinture et Vitrerie (French painting and glazing company)
- European Corporate Publishing Verband (press association)
- East Coast Pro Wrestling (Lake Hiawatha, NJ)
- East Coast Professional Wrestling
- East Coast Paging and Wireless Systems
Samples in periodicals archive:
Alongside the other initiatives for promoting minority rights and gender equality and fighting racism, as a result of the European Convention on Human Rights and in the service of promoting further civil and political rights, the following were also established: * The European Social Charter * The European Convention for the Prevention of Torture * The Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities * The European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) * The Commissioner for Human Rights The grand jubilee, the 60th anniversary of the adoption of the European Convention on Human Rights, was marked in the run-up to the 15th anniversary of the accession of the Republic of Macedonia to the Council of Europe.
European Convention for the Prevention of Torture While the prohibition of torture and ill-treatment is laid down in many human rights treaties and represent a peremptory norm of international law, ("ius cogens"), many states still systematically practice torture.