In Detroit, Malia is receiving a new experimental treatment using difluoromethylornithine, or DFMO, which is already approved for use for African sleeping sickness and is being used in cancer trials, since it inhibits a key protein in tumor growth.
What does DFMO stand for?
DFMO stands for Difluoromethylornithine
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of DFMO
We have 2 other meanings of DFMO in our Acronym Attic
- Dubai Financial Market Index (United Arab Emirates)
- Dust Flux Monitor Instrument (space data collection)
- Downey Folk Music Jam (California)
- Deák Ferenc Megyei Könyvtár (Hungarian library)
- Dan Forrester Memorial Library
- Dewan Farooque Motors Limited (est. 1916; Pakistan)
- Dewan Farooque Motors Ltd. (Pakistan)
- Design for Manufacturing and the Lifecycle Conference (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
- Design for Manufacture for MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical Systems)
- Dance Floor Make-Out
- Division Financial Management Office
- Doppler Filter Mixer-Oscillator
- Dark Forse Munky Puppitz (band)
- Detailed Forest Management Plan (Canada)
- Deadlock-Free Multi-Cast Routing
- Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (Nicosia, Cyprus)
- Design for Minimum Risk
- Dual Frequency MEECN Receiver
- Duddon and Furness Mountain Rescue Team (UK)
- Data File Management System
Samples in periodicals archive:
Control of nucleic acid and protein synthesis in developing brain, kidney, and heart of the neonatal rat: effects of a difluoromethylornithine, a specific, irreversible inhibitor of' ornithine decarboxvlase.
50] values for diminazene, DL-a- difluoromethylornithine, metronidazole, ornidazole, and suramin in TC221 cells were in a range of 0.
Difluoromethylornithine, an effective new treatment of Gambian trypanosomiasis.
Cells were grown to confluence at which point they were treated with difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), diethylglyoxal bisguanylhydrazone (DEGBG), or a combination of the two.
Difluoromethylornithine, a drug to stop the growth of metastases, severely reduces platelet counts in the blood of cancer patients.
Currently under investigation are epigallocatechin gallate, a green tea catechin with antioxidant, sunscreen, and UVB signal transduction-blocking activity; perillyl alcohol, a monoterpene derived from citrus peel that inhibits Ras farnesylation; difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase and polyamines; retinoids that target retinoid X receptors and AP-1 activity; and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents that inhibit cyclooxygenase and prostaglandin synthesis.