During the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war, he was head of Iran's Defence Industries Organisation, when all its defence equipment required US spare parts which theoretically were blocked by a US-led arms embargo.
What does DIO stand for?
DIO stands for Defence Industries Organisation (Iran)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of DIO
We have 52 other meanings of DIO in our Acronym Attic
- Disability Information Network of South Australia
- Defense Intelligence Notice Summary
- Douglas Interagency Narcotics Team (est. 1989; Oregon)
- Internal Dose
- Deer Industry New Zealand
- Designers Institute of New Zealand
- Data Input-Output
- Dave Ivaz Orchestra
- Days Inventory Outstanding
- Dealer Installed Option (automotive)
- Defence Infrastructure Organisation (UK)
- Defence Intelligence Organisation (Australia)
- Defense Intelligence Officer
- Defensive Information Operations
- Deferred Interest Obligation
- Deiodinase, Iodothyronine
- Délégué à l'Information et à l'Orientation (French: Delegate for Information and Guidance)
- Dépistage Individuel Organisé du Cancer (French: Screening Individuals with Cancer; software)
- Designated Institutional Official
- Device Integration Object
Samples in periodicals archive:
The Defence Industries Organisation is reportedly making "a considerable profit" from producing steel, copper, chemicals, household appliances, industrial machinery and other goods.
The companies involved are chiefly subsidiaries of the Atomic Energy Agency (AEA) of Iran and the Defence Industries Organisation (DIO).