The main motivation for the view seems to be a familiar dissatisfaction with the correspondence theory of truth as applied to certain domains--primarily moral discourse, though perhaps mathematics as well.
What does CTOT stand for?
CTOT stands for Correspondence Theory of Truth (philosophy)
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of CTOT
We have 5 other meanings of CTOT in our Acronym Attic
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Convergent Technologies Operating System
- Corps Tactical Operations System
- Counter Terrorism Operations Support (Nevada)
- Cyber-Tools Online Search for Evidence (European Commission website)
- Calculated Takeoff Time (European traffic control terminology; aka Slot Time)
- Canadian Trade Office in Taipei (Taiwan)
- Clinical Trials in Organ Transplantation (research program; various locations)
- comité territorial sur l’organisation du travail
- Constant Thrust on Takeoff
- Combustion Turbine Operations Task Force
- Counter-Terrorism Operations Training Facility
- Critical Thinking on the Web (Australia)
- Clique: the Official Website
- Cryptologic Technician Of the Watch
- Chamblee Toxicology Laboratory
- California Transportation Plan
- Call to Power (computer game)
- Cámara de Turismo de Pucón (Spanish: Chamber of Tourism of Pucón; Pucón, Chile)
- Cambridge Technology Partners, Inc. (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
Samples in periodicals archive:
As indicated by the editors in a marginal note, all of this directs Clayton more towards the orbit of pragmatic views about religion than views involving the correspondence theory of truth or what some philosophers of religion call 'critical realism'.
Among the functions he asks of his correspondence theory of truth is that it explain how it fares in the face of liars.
When people say Americans are pragmatists, they don't mean they are postmodernists with strong philosophical views about the correspondence theory of truth.
Like the move to coherence or pragmatism, adopting the image of "language games" entailed abandoning the correspondence theory of truth.
All non-pragmatists are lumped together as (supposedly) holding to a correspondence theory of truth and then labelled Searchers After Reality As It Really Is.
although I accepted, as almost everybody does, the objective or absolute or correspondence theory of truth - truth as correspondence with the facts - I preferred to avoid the topic.
Moreover, by embracing the correspondence theory of truth and combining it with dialetheism one is committed to the view that reality which makes out statements true is to some extent inconsistent or contradictory.