Researchers have found conclusive evidence that it was delivered by the dramatic impact of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 in July 1994.
What does SL stand for?
SL stands for Comet Shoemaker-Levy
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of SL
We have 139 other meanings of SL in our Acronym Attic
- Sky Radiation Measurements
- Sky Radiometers on Stand for Downwelling Radiation (meteorology; Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Climate Research Facility; US Department of Energy)
- Spirit Keeper Youth Society (Canada)
- St. Kilda Youth Services (Australia)
- [not an acronym] National Network of Volunteer Severe Weather Spotters for NOAA
- Sanbo Kyodan Zen (Buddhism)
- Suddeutsches Kunststoff-Zentrum (German regulations for sanitary pipe systems)
- Stichting Kwaliteitsbewaking Ziekenhuis Laboratoria (Dutch: Hospital Laboratories Quality Foundation)
- Slovenska Krovna Zveza za Psihoterapijo
- Stowarzyszenie Kultury Ziemi Raciborskiej (Poland)
Samples in periodicals archive:
During the crossing, icy and rocky debris in the belt could crash into the planet's atmosphere and create the type of cosmic fireworks seen when Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashed into Jupiter.
Which planet in our solar system was hit by parts of the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 in 1994?
A similar spot occurred on Jupiter in 1994 when the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashed into the planet.
With which planet did the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 collide in 1994?
In 1994, sky watchers around the world witnessed fragments of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 collide with the planet.
1994 Photographs the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashing into Jupiter.
Ever since the release of sci-fi thrillers like Armageddon and Deep Impact, and the 1994 collision of comet Shoemaker-Levy with Jupiter, "it's become difficult to inform people about newly discovered objects without being sensational," Binzel says.