Unlike English and Italian child-directed speech, in Korean child-directed speech verb types outnumber noun types, and verbs are typically found in salient utterance-final position.
What does CDS stand for?
CDS stands for Child-Directed Speech
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Organizations, NGOs, schools, universities, etc.
See other definitions of CDS
We have 725 other meanings of CDS in our Acronym Attic
- Chemical Decontamination System
- Chemical Defense System (US DHS)
- Chemical Dependency Specialist
- Chenega Decision Sciences, LLC
- Chesterfield Day School (Missouri)
- Chicago Dental Society
- Chief of Defence Staff (Canada)
- Child Development Services
- Child Development Specialist
- Child Development Study (various organizations)
Samples in periodicals archive:
This paper reviews the literature on the similarities and differences in child-directed speech (CDS) employed by fathers and mothers.
For example, although English-speaking pre-schoolers use few verbal passives in their spontaneous speech, children learning Sesotho -- a Bantu language where verbal passives are frequently used in adult and child-directed speech -- use these constructions frequently by the age of three (Demuth 1989, 1990).