Business Asset Taper Relief was a successful measure introduced by the previous Government, and the negative impact of its withdrawal far outweighs any limited increase in tax revenues.
What does BATR stand for?
BATR stands for Business Asset Taper Relief (taxation)
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
- Business, finance, etc.
See other definitions of BATR
We have 8 other meanings of BATR in our Acronym Attic
- Bay Area Turning Point (Texas)
- Beauty and the Pitch
- Business Applications Transformation Project
- British Association of TESOL Qualification Institutions
- Bande d'Atterrissage Train Rentré (French)
- Bay Area Technical Recruiters
- Bouncing Around the Room (Phish song)
- Breaking All the Rules
- British Association of Toy Retailers
- Bullets At Target Range (USAF/USN)
- Bolton Affiliation of Tenants and Residents Associations (Bolton, UK)
- Bilateral Arm Training with Rhythmic Auditory Cueing
- Baratropic Prognosis
- Best Available Treatment Recovery and Recycling Techniques (UK)
- Bringing ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) to Residential Users
- Ballistic Aerial Target System
- Base Area Test System
- Baseline Automated Test System
- Basic Attributes Testing System
Samples in periodicals archive:
The most valuable capital gains tax relief available is Entrepreneurs' Relief, which replaced Business Asset Taper Relief for disposal after April 5, 2008.
Key changes, which include the abolition of Business Asset Taper Relief and Indexation Relief and the introduction of a flat rate of CGT of 18%, mean that, from April 6, the rate of CGT on business assets will increase by up to 80% for many taxpayers and by substantially more than this for those individuals realising gains of about pounds 100,000 or less.
Clarify tax regulations to simplify the rules on Capital Gains Tax and Business Asset Taper Relief, to assist shareholders in private companies.
We successfully implemented similar arrangements to those highlighted above on many clients back in March 2008 when the rate increased away from the very attractive 10% business asset taper relief to the all encompassing 18% rate.
If a sole trader ceases trading and puts their business premises up for sale, previous business asset taper relief would have meant their capital gains tax was 10 per cent, and it could still be with Entrepreneur's Relief - but then again, it might instead be 18 per cent," Mr Silsby said.
The key issue for long-term investors in businesses (particularly owner managers) is the elimination of both indexation relief and business asset taper relief for disposals after April 5, 2008.
But if the farmer qualifies for business asset taper relief for the farming business, and assuming he sells after January 2007, then the SP will also qualify for this relief giving an effective CGT rate of 10%.