The light caused the release of atoms of chlorine and bromine from chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) in the atmosphere, which deplete ozone by combining with ozone molecules and breaking them into chlorine or bromine monoxide and ordinary oxygen.
What does BRO stand for?
BRO stands for Bromine Monoxide
This definition appears frequently
See other definitions of BRO
We have 51 other meanings of BRO in our Acronym Attic
- Big Red One (First Infantry Division; US Army)
- Bikers Rights Organization
- Blackwell Reference Online (academic library)
- BMX Riders Organization
- Border Roads Organisation (India)
- Brabham Racing Organisation (UK)
- Breault Research Organization
- Brevet de Randonneur de l'Oisans (French cycling event)
- Bridge Replacement Off System
- Brno, Turany Czech Republic (airport code)
- Browning (Amtrak station code; Browning, MT)
- Brownsville, TX, USA - South Padre Island International (Airport Code)
- Budget Responsible Officer
- Budget Review Officer (US DoD)
- Business Representative Organisation
- By Recommendation Only (wedding planner)
- British Rig Owners Association
- Bomb Royal Ordnance Augmenting Charge
- Basic Research On Advanced Distributed Computing: From Algorithms to Systems
Samples in periodicals archive:
Despite the detection of bromine monoxide (BrO) in the atmosphere some 20 years ago, bromine nitrate (BrONO2) was first observed in 2008 when scientists from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology discovered the gas's weak signal with data from MIPAS (the Michelson Interferometer for Passive Atmospheric Sounding).
The team's new analyses of ground-based weather data bolster this notion by showing that some polar air masses containing elevated concentrations of bromine monoxide (BrO) had on the previous day passed over areas of fresh sea ice, which probably sported frost flowers.