A Big Dumb Object (Clute and Nicholls in The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction are right to appeal for another term, but this is the one that prevails) (2) has the following qualities: it is artificial; it wasn't made by humans; its makers are absent so that it is or seems deserted; it is large enough to explore; indeed, it is usually very large, so that the human explorers are dwarfed; and very often the human explorers are swallowed up--they are enclosed, they are exploring an interior.
What does BDO stand for?
BDO stands for Big Dumb Object (something of unknown origin that sits in space until discovered)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Slang/chat, popular culture
See other definitions of BDO
We have 46 other meanings of BDO in our Acronym Attic
- Book Distributors New Zealand
- Banco de Oro (Philippines)
- Bandung, Indonesia - Husein Sastranegara (Airport Code)
- Battle Dress Overgarment
- Behavior Detection Officer (US DHS)
- Bentonite Diesel Oil
- Bi-Directional Override (HTML 4.0 tag)
- Big Daddy Orchestra (San Diego, CA)
- Big Day Out (Australian music festival)
- Binder Dijke Otte (accountancy firm)
- Blanket Delivery Order
- Block Development Office (India)
- Block Development Officer
- Board, Department or Office (California)
- Bomb Disposal Officer
- Boom Defense Officer
- Bordeaux Danse Orientale (French: Bordeaux Belly Dance; Bordeaux, France)
- British Darts Organisation
- Building Digital Opportunities (development initiative)
Samples in periodicals archive:
He carries on the tradition of Claes Oldenburg, offering big dumb objects that lampoon the angsty-seriousness to which abstraction succumbed in the middle of the last century and the attempt of earth artists to make works that looked primal.