This is diagnosed by performing a blood test for two antibodies; the anticardiolipin antibody and the lupus anticoagulant.
What does ANA stand for?
ANA stands for Anticardiolipin Antibody
This definition appears frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
See other definitions of ANA
We have 264 other meanings of ANA in our Acronym Attic
- Anguilla National Alliance
- Anne Noonan and Associates (Gatineau, QB, Canada)
- Annual National Assessment (South Africa)
- Annual Needs Assessment
- Another New Acronym
- Antinuclear Antibodies Test
- Antinuclear Antibody
- Appraisers National Association
- Appropriated but Not Authorized (Army Budget)
- Archives Network of Alberta (database)
- Arizona Newspapers Association
- Army and Navy Academy
- Article Number Association
- Asociacion Nacional Automovilistica (Spanish: National Automobile Association; Mexico)
- Asociacion Nuestros Ahijados (Antigua, Guatemala, Central America)
Samples in periodicals archive:
Elevated serum IgA anticardiolipin antibody levels in adult Henoch-Schonlein purpura.
The study examined the association between adverse pregnancy outcome and the presence of three different aPLs: lupus anticoagulant [LAC], anticardiolipin antibody [aCL] and antibody to beta 2 glycoprotein I.
These studies were of small populations, however, and did not follow the current strict guidelines for classifying anticardiolipin antibody and lupus anticoagulant concentrations as positive (27).
Introduction In this report, we present an interesting case of a combined heterozygote factor V Leiden mutation and anticardiolipin antibody positivity in a young patient with spontaneous deep vein thrombosis, which emphasizes importance of thrombophilia.
Their study results were found to mirror the results noted in the 2003 College of American Pathologists ACL-B survey for anticardiolipin antibody proficiency testing where an 80% consensus was reached for only five of the nine (55%) samples distributed for testing.
Anticardiolipin antibody of IgG or IgM isotype present in medium or high titer in serum or plasma on two occasions at least 12 weeks apart.
2) Of these, RF was found in 38 to 71% of patients, (2,4,5) antinuclear antibody in 10 to 41%, (2,3,4,5) antismooth muscle antibody in 9 to 22%, antithyroglobulin antibody in 7 to 14%, anti-LKM1 antibody in 5%, and anticardiolipin antibody in up to 44%.