Rodwell's family and the Abu Sayyaf, the kidnappers, made through the Philippines anti-kidnapping unit and their police force," Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr told ABC News 24 television.
What does AKU stand for?
AKU stands for Anti-Kidnapping Unit (Trinidad)
This definition appears rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Military and Government
See other definitions of AKU
We have 14 other meanings of AKU in our Acronym Attic
- American Kuntao Silat (martial arts)
- Arizona Kodály Teachers Society
- Avrupa Kredi Transfer Sistemi (Turkish: European Credit Transfer System)
- Aalborg Kristne TV Varieret (Denmark)
- Andy Kralik Television (Cape Coral, FL)
- Adaptation Kit Update (Microsoft mobile operating systems)
- Afyon Kocatepe University (Afyon,turkey)
- Aga Khan University
- Algemene Kunstzijde Unie (Dutch: General artificial silk union; now AKZO)
- Amir Kabir University (of Technology; Iran)
- University of Alaska
- Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development
- Adaptation Kit Update 2 (Microsoft)
- Aga Khan University Anxiety and Depression Scale
- Aga Khan University Centre of English Language (Pakistan)
- Aga Khan University Foundation (Pakistan)
- Aga Khan University Hospital
- Aga Khan University Medical College (Pakistan)
- Aplikasi Komputer Untuk Ritel (Indonesian: Computer Applications for Retail)
Samples in periodicals archive:
I won't comment on arrangements that may have been made by Mr Rodwell's family and Abu Sayyaf, made through the Philippines anti-kidnapping unit and their police force.
The Australian government has set up a task force to negotiate for Mr Rodwell while the Philippine government's anti-kidnapping unit was also trying to contact the group holding him.
Haitian radio reported that an unspecified ransom was paid, but police Commissioner Francois Henry Doussous, chief of the country's anti-kidnapping unit, said the gunmen received no money.
Among the officers removed from the National Police were the directors of the Criminal Investigation, Intelligence, and Anti-Kidnapping units.
According to Jose Antonio Ortega, head of a security committee conducting the investigation, "telephone records show that the cell phone used by the kidnappers was also used to make calls to the home of a top official from the department's anti-kidnapping unit.
One of the most serious errors by the administration of Vicente Fox was to dismantle the federal anti-kidnapping unit that was in place during previous administrations," said ex-PRI presidential candidate Francisco Labastida, who lost to Fox in the 2000 election.
People hearing about kidnappings know that it is very easy money," said Henry Millington, head of the Trinidad police's anti-kidnapping unit.